12.06.2010

A melancholy accident

Thoreau has some reasonably good points; although most parts of the book are dull as shit.

"Public opinion is a weak tyrant compared with our own private opinion" - Well indeed it is, although it is often forgotten.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation" - And too bad that no one will attempt what Thoureau or that guy from Into the Wild did. Just forsake society in order to really live.

"This spending of the best part of one's life earning money in order to enjoy a questionable liberty during the least valuable part of it" - Makes no sense, yet we hunt for money.

Only at page 28, I am sure I will come up with more. "An education" was a reasonably good movie. Better than Prince of Persia, Robin Hood and Young Victoria. What else did I watch, hmm, Wuthering Heights with Ralph Fiennes and the entire Underworld series (again). And I am sure I am forgetting something.