5.13.2010

Mind-altering Substance of Choice

"He would not stay for me, and who can wonder?
He would not stay for me to stand and gaze.
I shook his hand and tore my heart in sunder
And went with half my life about my ways."

"it was not quite self-pity, though there was an element of that, more a kind of shrinking into one's core, shrinking so deeply that everything else - the irritable tourists, the stricken girl - appeared as though on the other side of a thick glass panel." (Ian McEwan)

"Like many before me, I had come to the slow acknowledgement that the mind-altering substance of choice in a pressured, succesfull middle life is alcohol. Licit, social, with one's mild addiction easily concealed among everyone else's, and in all it's infinte, ingenious manifestations, so colourful, so tasty, the drink in your hand triumphs by its very form; its liquidity is at one with the everyday, with milk, tea, coffee, with water, and therefore with life itself." (Ian McEwan)

Kristinehamn was a wonderful little dream bubble - didn't do much and didn't want to - was just happy floating around. Being close to C does that, you're content with whatever, and end up discussing dreams about the future, about going to Magaluf and Tenerife. And we are certainly going there again. We have realized that is the life we want - not this boring one here in cold Sweden. Listening to party music right now, perfect mood. Now I just need my charger back so I can have my phone.