9.01.2009

Jude Law and Tarantino

What can I say? Shakespeare is magical, and most magical when presented in the form it is supposed to be presented in: live on a stage. And with Jude Law as Hamlet, it turned even more magical, if possible. It was very true to original script, with a little touch of spicy here and there. Very ingeniously performed. Like Hamlet's enacted madness - perfection. The imitation of a crab, the dryhumping of Polonius, the clever retorts and the general outsmarting of Polonius. The gooey, repulsive love between Claudius and Gertrude. The brilliant, if yet daft, gravedigger. The gravedigger and Polonius were both played by the same actor, my second favourite next to Jude Law. I'm still not sure if I liked Ophelia or not, but she had a nice voice. I think I like Helena Bonham Carter better in the role of Ophelia, this version was a little too much down to earth. And Mr Gibbs from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies made an excellent Claudius, flawless in every way. And then the stage: Kronenborg slott is a fairytale castle, magical, surrounded by water. With a modest, black, clean cut stage on the courtyard, the audience sitting under an open sky, the castle contributed even more to the setting, the mood, and the magic. As night fell over Elsinore, the stars came out, and the audience sat transfixed by this very goldmine of brilliant acting, I was just really happy to be a part of such an experience. Even if I freezed my butt off. The fame-smitten teenager in me screamed with infinite glee "he looked at me!" every time Mr Law's intense gaze happened to fall on me. He was so far into his character he hardly noticed who he looked at, but I think every female in the audience (which was at least 79%) inwardly screamed with glee at the thought of Jude Law, at the sight of Jude Law, at the sound of Jude Law. We were all very silly on the inside, but on the outside very dignified and composed.

Inglorious Basterds. After a day of shopping, or rather window shopping for my part, with lil sis, we went to see Inglorious Basterds. Oh, I bought new shoes too, it felt like a premiere night. Anyway, where to begin? I can't even describe this weird, creepy, brilliant cacaphony of nazi hate, gore and twisted conversations. As ever, Tarantino shows his gift of possesion , a possesion of how to present things. Let me explain. However we may look to the world, it all comes down to how we present ourselves. How we speak: accent, no accent, what language, how articulate, old-fashioned, flowing or staccato etc. How we look: well-dressed, sloppy, poised, manicured, inspiring of confidence, threatening etc. How we move and what we choose to do. Everyone of Tarantino's characters are extremely possesed, extremely well thought out, and extremly brilliant. Why? Due to the satirical edge, the parodies, and the nods to history, culture and everything else. Might be due to excellent choice of actors as well. But I don't love the actors, not even Brad Pitt. I love Tarantino. The end.

Now I'm looking forward to a day trip to Copenhagen and Christiania later today. And the day after that, I would love some Magda time. I'm just dying to play some Final Fantasy X and maybe watch some Buffy, cook food, eat ice crem, gossip and maybe throw in some waterpipe on top of that. Cheerios.